As a group of people that enjoy music and apparel, most hipsters exist in a certain age bracket, like . . . from teenagers to those in their thirties, “part of today's ‘extended adolescent’ era”,
There are a few that are ‘older hipsters’ of course, but as we age, we tend to feel less concerned about issues that meant a great deal to us when we were younger. There are other things in life that’s more important to us than being trendy and labelled as a member of a certain sub-culture.
Characteristics of Hipsters
The first way you’d recognise a hipster is by the way he/she is dressed, in an almost ironic ‘tongue-in-cheek’ style. Shape-wise, they are usually slim (both male and female) with many of them having a skinny silhouette. Both men and women tend to have similar figures.
How to Dress like a Hipster
Their clothing is bright coloured and consisting of sharp and bold patterns. Hipsters love the mismatch layered look that’s seems like clothes just thrown up together without a thought, ensembles typical of hipsters. Hipster style is typically retro in many ways, with an “oh I can't be bothered" look.
- Skinny jeans and pants
- Patterned and colourful leggings
- High-waist pants
- Rock band fitted tees
- Plaid, cowboy, gingham, paisley, and vintage floral shirts
- Eye glasses, the more satirical, the better . . . shutter shades, huge framed, authentic Ray Ban Wayfarers, and plain regular non-recommended glasses … in all shades and colours.
- Fitted hoodies
- Vintage style clothing . . . floral or lace dresses.
- Footwear - like ankle, cowboy, or chukka boots. Other favourite shoes include flats, throwback sneakers, and vintage inspired shoes
- Nail polish - bright neon colours, or Biba look black
- Large flowery headbands
- Bird necklaces
- Brightly coloured belts
And Be Cool as One
Contrary to popular belief, being a hipster is much more complex than hipster style dressing. For some, it is more like a way of life, a lifestyle that’s unique in its own ‘cool’ way.
So if you want to dress hipster style, just ensure you conform to their pants principle: “Skinny Fit.” Remember to “layer on” the rest, and don’t forget the “acid washes”, day-glow neon colours, and the Ray-Ban.